Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Halle Berry Apologizes for Anti-Semitic Comment


went on and I am sure that she wishes for a second take. I saw the video of her sharing funny pictures of herself to Jay with one in particular of her with a big nose. She said to Jay when handing him the pic, "Here's where I look like my Jewish cousin." Crickets..., then Jay broke it up by saying, "I'm glad you said it...OK great!"

Here's what she told Page Six,

"What happened was I was backstage before the show and I have three girls who are Jewish who work for me. We were going through pictures to see which ones looked silly, and one of my Jewish friends said 'That could be your Jewish cousin!' And I guess it was fresh in my mind, and it just came out of my mouth. But I didn't mean to offend anybody. I didn't. I didn't mean any harm."

"There was a picture where I said I looked like Monica Lewinsky and one where I said I looked like Jay. It was just supposed to be a silly segment. I am so sorry, and I apologize."

4 comments:

Eastcoastdweller said...

While it is true that racial jokes and stereotypes really, really hurt, I hope that nobody is so small enough as to beat up this beautiful, wonderful Woman for a mere slip of the tongue.

In my world, actions speak louder than words, especially since we've all said stupid things that we regret at one time or another, that do not reflect who we really are.

LayDdee said...

I know - it's not like she's Mel Gibson or anything. It's sweet adorable Halle Berry. Her character speaks for her.

Anonymous said...

Don't make excuses for an inexcusable comment. The fact that Halle Berry is "beautiful, wonderful" and "sweet adorable" is not the issue and quite superfluous.

As a Jewish woman, I am particularly offended by this type of comment.

I am not "so small...as to beat up this beautiful...woman...for a mere slip of the tongue". When on the Leno show, there should be no slips of the tongue with millions of people listening to her every word, and she knew it.

To what actions are you referring that speak louder than her anti-Semitic words?

Please take it from a Jewish person that the truth is often said in jest, thus propagating hateful stereotypes.

People in the public eye need to be very careful in their choice of words and their ramifications.

I disagree with eastcoastdweller and laddee when saying that words do not reflect who we really are. Are you kidding? That's just total nonsense. Our words speaks volumes as to who we are.
Shame on Halle.

Mel Gibson is an outright hateful,ugly, anti-Semite who lives what he learned from his parents.

LayDdee said...

You being a Jewish woman - I want you to know I respect your thoughts. Sincerely!!! My point was just that we have all said things that were stupid which could be taken as racist or mean. I do agree that if you're in the public eye there needs to be a higher standard and celebrities have to be more careful about what they say.

Google